Welfare & Other Supports For Jobseekers

The website, www.losingyourjob.ie, provides a wide range of information on welfare supports, tax issues and education and training options.

Immediate Financial Assistance While Awaiting A Jobseekers Payment

While decisions on applications for the PRSI-based Jobseekers Benefit are usually made quite quickly, some people applying for the Jobseekers Allowance may experience delays.  If you are in urgent need of financial assistance while awaiting a decision on your jobseekers claim, you should contact the Community Welfare Officer in your local HSE Health Centre (click here for a list of health centres).

Work Placement Programmes

Getting work experience now may have help young people in particular to secure paid employment in their chosen field when the economy improves. In order to help jobseekers get such experience, the Government has introduced a range of work placement programmes.

Tús is a community work placement initiative that provides short-term working opportunities for unemployed people. The work opportunities are provided by community and voluntary organisations in both urban and rural areas. Participants work 19.5 hours a week for 12 months and their rate of payment is the maximum rate of their social welfare payment plus a weekly €20 top-up. For further information, click here.

The National Internship Scheme (JobBridge) provides internship opportunities of 6 or 9 months for unemployed individuals in organisations in the private, public and community & voluntary sectors. Participants on the National Internship Scheme receive, through the Department of Social Protection, a single allowance consisting of €50 per week on top of their equivalent existing social welfare entitlements. For more information, click here.

If you are getting a social welfare payment for at least three months, you may be eligible for the FÁS Work Placement Programme.  Under this Programme, you can obtain up to 9 months unpaid work experience with an employer.  In addition, you may be able to retain your social welfare payment while on the Programme.  The Programme is also open to unemployed people who are not getting a social welfare payment. For more information, click here.

For information on a range of supports available, click here.

Help With Mortgage / Rent Difficulties

A range of services are in place to help people who are unable to make their mortgage or rent payments.

– The Money Advice and Budgeting Service can give you free advice over the phone or in person.

– You may be entitled to a Mortgage Interest Supplement or Rent Supplement payment from the Department of Social and Family Affairs.

– Under new rules announced in 2010, if you cannot pay your mortgage, the lender  (incl. sub-prime) is not allowed to commence legal proceedings until one year after you miss your first payment.

For more information on these and other supports see www.keepingyourhome.ie